Posted on Tuesday 29 January 2013 by Ulster Business
Paul Crowe and David Gavaghan at the redesigned Titanic House
Todd Architects and Planners has relocated its Belfast offices from Cathedral Quarter to Titanic House, the original Harland & Wolff headquarters on Queen's Road, Titanic Quarter.
The move is part of a new lease of life for the building where design plans for RMS Titanic were drawn up over a century ago. Fully refurbished and restored in 2007, Titanic Quarter Ltd also has plans to develop part of the building into a business centre.
Todd's new studios are located on the second floor, overlooking a range of landmark buildings which the practice has delivered in Titanic Quarter, including the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland, Belfast Metropolitan College and the iconic Titanic Belfast.
Paul Crowe, Managing Director, Todd Architects and Planners, said: "This move marks a new era for the practice as we continue to expand our commission base across the UK, with the opening of a London office last summer, and the Middle East. Our new studios will enable us to introduce new working patterns and efficiencies in the manner in which we deliver our services that will be to the benefit of both our staff and our clients.
"Having played a major role in the regeneration of the Cathedral Quarter since the practice began operating from there in the late 1980s, we are similarly enthused at the prospect of helping breathe new life into Titanic House and Titanic Quarter in general. We are extremely proud of the body of work we have successfully delivered at Titanic Quarter and look forward to generating cutting-edge ideas for more award-winning buildings from our new base."
Todd's move coincides with a redesign of the first floor office space at Titanic House to an open-floor format for Titanic Quarter Ltd staff, helping pave the wave for further new business ventures.
David Gavaghan, CEO, Titanic Quarter Ltd, commented: "Titanic Quarter is becoming a focal point for Belfast and this move is a significant boost to the revitalization of Titanic House, a building steeped in tradition which has housed some of the UK's most innovative business minds. We believe the building can become a hub for local forward-thinking businesses and are working on plans for a new business development on the ground floor which will be one of the most exciting new additions to Belfast's business infrastructure.
"We are delighted to welcome Todd Architects and Planners to Titanic House – the creativity and dynamism for which the practice is renowned will provide an added vibrancy to our daily working environment. Todd's work in successfully delivering Titanic Belfast, as well as other Titanic Quarter projects and award-winning designs throughout Ireland, makes the firm a natural fit for the ongoing revitalization of Titanic Quarter."
The three-storey sandstone and brick Titanic House building was constructed in various stages between 1900 and 1919, and until October 1989 acted as the administration and drawing office centre for the Harland & Wolff shipyard. Restoration work began in September 2007, with as many original features of the Grade B1-listed building as possible being preserved.