Posted on Wednesday 14 May 2014 by Ulster Business

Northern Ireland’s dole queue fell by 800 in April, according to new data from DETI

Northern Ireland's dole queue is getting shorter but the number of people classed as economically inactive remains the highest of all UK regions.

The claimaint count, which measures the number of people claiming benefits, fell by 800 in April with 56,100, according to the Labour Market Survey released by the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Investment.

Enterprise minister Arlene Foster said her department was behind the drop in the dole queue and a 0.1% fall in the unemployment rate to 7.2%.
"The past month has seen continuing evidence of significant investment, with almost 3,000 new jobs being announced since the beginning of April. This is a direct result of hard work by my Department and Invest NI and is good news for all of Northern Ireland, with jobs being created in Newtownabbey, Londonderry, Portadown, Antrim, Carrickfergus, Belfast and Tyrone.

But while the number of people looking for work might be falling, there was no change in the economically inactive figure which refers to the percentage of the working population not actively looking for work.
It stood at 26.8%, well above the UK average of 21.9%, for the first three months of 2014.

Of those, 28% are sick or disabled, 27% are students, 25% are looking after the
family or home, 12% are retired and 10% are 'other'. reason.
DETI's report this month also showed that while 90% don't want to work, the remaining 10% want employment but do not satisfy the fill the International Labour Organisation definition of employment "by actively seeking work and being available to start a job".

Search ulsterbusiness.com

Follow us

Subscribe to Ulster Business Magazine

View Our Digital Library

A&L Goodbody Ulster Business Top 100 Banner