Posted on Tuesday 12 August 2014 by Ulster Business
The new studios will add 100,000 square feet of space to the current production space
Planning permission has been granted for two new film studios in Belfast’s Titanic Quarter.
The £14m development plan will see an additional 100,000 square feet of space added to the addition Titanic studio, doubling its production space.
The application is for two film studios, film production workshops, additional film production uses, installation of a roof mounted solar panel system, car parking plus access and site works.
The move comes hot on the heels of the success of HBO’s Games of Thrones which is filmed in the dockside location and is expected to cement Northern Ireland’s credentials on global map for film makers.
Titanic Quarter is the developer behind the plans and had revealed its intention to apply for planning permission for the studio extension to Ulster Business late last year.
Then, Titanic Quarter CEO David Gavaghan said the new facility, to be located close to the existing Titanic Studios, will comprise over 43,000 sq ft of studio space across two studios as well as 23,000 sq ft of ground floor workshop space and over 48,000 sq ft of "ancillary support space" including offices for production staff working on films and television series.
"We will be applying for planning before the end of this year and we hope to get approval by the end of quarter one 2014 with a view to starting to build and having it completed by the autumn of 2014. We think there are one or two big projects imminent for 2015," he told Ulster Business in December 2013.
Environment minister Mark H Durkan announced the approval of the planning application.
"This planning application for two film studios and supporting facilities would if constructed, put Belfast on the map as one of Europe's largest film production locations.”