Posted on Wednesday 10 September 2014 by Ulster Business
Prime Minister David Cameron visited Bombardier's Belfast base last year. He's picted with Bombardier chief executive Pierre Beaudoin, the company's Belfast General Manager Michael Ryan and First Minister Peter Robinson.
Bombardier is cutting 390 jobs at its Belfast base as part of a global restructure.
The Canadian aerospace giant will reduce its full time employee headcount by 90 and its temporary contract and “complimentary” workforce by 300.
The move follows an announcement in July by the company chief executive Pierre Beaudoin of a shakeup in Bombardier’s structure and is part of a cut of 1,800 across its global bases.
And despite the losses to the Belfast workforce, it still remains in positive territory when it comes to the number of jobs added over the last few years.
“Over the past four years, we have increased our total workforce by over 1,200, primarily through our Complementary Labour Force, but unfortunately we now need to reduce our workforce levels,” a spokesperson said. “We deeply regret the impact this will have on those affected and their families.”
Despite the job cuts, she said the Belfast plant remains key to the company’s future.
“Bombardier has a strong portfolio of innovative aircraft products in both the commercial and business aircraft markets and we in Belfast continue to play a major role in these.”
Part of the restructuring will involve the Belfast base becoming part of the Aerostructures and Engineering Services business segment, which will specialise in the design and development of complex composite and metallic structures, including wings, fuselages and engine nacelles.
The temporary workers are expected to leave the company next month while the 90 full time employees will go through a 30-day consultation period once Bombardier has lodged a redundancy notice with the Department of Employment and Learning.
“We will explore a range of means to mitigate the number of potential compulsory redundancies,” the spokeswoman said.