Posted on Wednesday 21 November 2018 by John Mulgrew
Bombardier has announced it’s cutting almost 500 jobs in Northern Ireland in the latest fresh blow to the aerospace giant’s workforce.
The Canadian-owned company said that “following the global workforce adjustments” announced earlier this month, it would be reducing its workforce here.
“We have reviewed our manpower requirements in Belfast and regret to confirm that we must reduce our workforce across the company by 490 employees,” it said.
“We acknowledge the impact this will have on our workforce and their families and we continue to explore opportunities to help mitigate the number of compulsory redundancies.
“However, we need to continue to cut costs and improve the efficiency of our operations to help ensure our long-term competitiveness.”
It’s the latest blow to the firm, which has seen more than 1,000 job losses in the last few years.
Earlier this year, it landed a partnership with French firm Airbus which aimed to secure the future of the production of its C Series planes, now called A220, which are part-made in Belfast.