Posted on Tuesday 5 March 2019 by John Mulgrew
A £77m redevelopment of the BBC’s Northern Ireland headquarters has moved a step forward as it hosts a public event to outline its ambitious plans, it can be revealed.
The proposal for the work to Broadcasting House on Ormeau Avenue in Belfast was approved last March by the BBC board, with the announcement made to staff by the BBC's director general Lord Tony Hall.
Now, the plans – which include the redevelopment of the exisiting BBC Broadcasting House building, including the refurbishment and extension of the buildings – will be put to the public, as part of a necessary pre-application event before planning can be submitted.
It includes a new extension to the rear, including a landscaped plaza opening onto Linenhall Street.
A spokesman for BBC Northern Ireland told Ulster Business: "As part of the pre-planning application process, public consultation events will take place this month before we can move on to the next phase. The investment to BBC Broadcasting House in Belfast, announced in March last year, will transform the iconic building, its technology and facilities, highlighting the BBC’s commitment to audiences in Northern Ireland. We will share more detail in due course."
Money invested will go towards structural work on the 77-year-old building to ensure its long-term sustainability, addressing what the state broadcaster has said are "critical deficiencies".
Before the announcement last year that the BBC was to stay put and develop its existing building, it was understood the broadcaster had been eyeing up other city centre locations, or could create a new media hub in the Titanic Quarter.
The event will take place at the Clayton Hotel on March 14, between 6pm and 8pm, and March 28 between 12pm and 3.30pm.