Posted on Tuesday 19 March 2019 by Ulster Business


People living across Northern Ireland will have many practical questions about how things may change for them after Brexit.

For some there will be little or no change to their daily lives after the UK leaves the EU.

But for others, Brexit may have an impact on some aspects of their day-to-day lives.

To provide as much practical information for people across Northern Ireland that is currently available, a Brexit section has been created on the nidirect website.

Useful public information is being published on on a regular basis.

You may have also seen some of the digital advertisements across Northern Ireland or on your social media channels asking you to visit the nidirect website for the most up to date information.

The nidirect Brexit section also points to information being published by the UK Government to give people as much information as possible.

At this stage, it won’t answer every question that people will have.

But it serves as a useful tool to get people to start thinking about what they may need to do differently once the UK leaves the EU.

Included in the is a section on travelling, which includes the most up to date information for motorists.

Depending on how the UK leaves the EU, motorists in Northern Ireland may need a Green Card to drive across the border.

A Green Card is an international certificate of insurance issued by insurance providers in the UK, guaranteeing that the driver has the necessary third-party motor insurance cover for driving in the country being travelled to.

In the event of a 'no deal' Brexit, motorists in Northern Ireland travelling to the Republic of Ireland will need a Green Card as proof of insurance.

There’s also the most up-to-date information from the Department of Health on prescriptions, medicines and medical supplies.

The Department of Health has already said that there is enough medicines and medical products to meet current needs.

Therefore people should not ask for longer prescriptions and should continue to follow their GP’s advice.

Likewise, arrangements for the provision of specific cross border healthcare services made between the Department of Health in Northern Ireland and the Department of Health in Dublin (such as the Paediatric Congenital Heart Service or the North West Cancer Centre) should not be affected by EU Exit as they are not based on EU legislation.

There is also information at along with links to further information for businesses, employers and EU citizens, while information on the Common Travel Area (CTA) can be found at

You might not have heard about the CTA before, but it gives British and Irish citizens agreed rights and privileges in both jurisdictions.

The CTA is not based on EU membership and is a long standing arrangements based on domestic legislation and agreements between the UK and Irish governments and deals with a range of issues. will be updated as and when new information becomes clear and available.






Follow us

Subscribe to Ulster Business Magazine

View Our Digital Library

A L Top 100 2019 button